How To Maintain A Rotary Valve
Proper maintenance of the rotary valve is needed as it will give more life and usage to its main parts and other components. The wear and tear of its parts will be inspected so that before its use you can find out which parts need replacement and avoid breakdown in the middle of operations. Always refer to the product manual before you start with any maintenance activity. There you will also know the frequency of maintenance as recommended by the supplier.
Maintenance activity should be regular depending on how frequently the machine is used. Regular overhauling of the control valve should be different from maintenance schedule. There are usually weekly and monthly maintenance based on how the equipment is being used in the operations. The whole rotary valve is recommended to be dismantled and cleaned regularly to avoid build-up of dirt and other debris that may hinder its performance. How soon it wears out will depend on its actual usage and will depend per user. Refer to parts of a rotary valve to check its different parts that will be dismantled. You may ask help from the supplier if you are not familiar in doing it.
Things to check during maintenance:
1. Shaft seals should be checked every month or more frequent if there are any leaks found during regular inspection. If during adjustment there remains a leak, its gland packing should be completely replaced.
2. Monthly inspection of drive sprockets and chain should be done. Its tension should be adjusted and must always be correct during its operation. Always look for wear from sprocket teeth and replace them if needed.
3. Bearings should be grease packed and sealed, and should be maintenance free. Check them every three months and replace if necessary.
4. Geared motors should be inspected and maintained as recommended by the supplier. It should be inspected for lubricant leak during maintenance activities.
5. All retaining bolts must be checked for tightness and should be adjusted if necessary.
6. Perform a blade tip adjustment if you see some wear on the blade during your regular inspection.
7. Always make sure that you have isolated and locked off the electric supply before working on any maintenance activity to avoid electric shock and injuries.
Always maintain a good supply of spare parts. You will need these things during your maintenance activities and repairs. You can’t do anything if you don’t have parts. Check with your supplier the parts that need to be maintained so you will always have them in your inventory.
Always consult the supplier’s manual for correct dismantling of the parts. Rotary valve should be inspected regularly to avoid any problems that you may encounter during your operations. Avoid getting the hassle and losing more output from downtime. There are various situations that can be prevented from a good maintenance. Make sure that those that will do maintenance should have the correct training in doing it. You may call professional help when you feel it is needed to do so.