How To Maintain A Diverter Valve
For a diverter valve that will serve its purpose of providing economical use of water, here are the steps for its proper maintenance. By following the simple instructions provided herewith, use your valves longer and walk away with savings. This maintenance guide is applicable for those valve models without grease ports.
1. Turn off the water pump. This is to ensure that the water flow will not interfere with the whole maintenance process.
2. Open the filter valve. This step is to make sure that the stored pressure is relieved before the disassembly.
3. Disassemble the valve. By doing this, you are initiating the maintenance routine and you are preparing the valve for succeeding maintenance processes.
4. Swivel the valve handle to facilitate easier pulling of the valve assembly.
5. Unscrew the valve cover. Usually the top cover a diverter valve contains eight screws. However, depending on the model and brand, this may vary.
6. Pull out the valve assembly out of its body. Perform this by gripping the handle in a moderate pilling manner.
7. Remove the lock knob. It is located on top of the valve assembly. Removal can be done by typical unscrewing process.
8. Raise the handle off from the assembly shaft to facilitate removal or pulling of the assembly shaft unit from the cover.
9. The o-rings should now be exposed to you.
10. With the o-rings exposed (usually in 3), you should now carefully inspect the part for possible damages and tears.
11. Apply a thin coat of lubricant on the part of the o-rings where you spot some damages.
This 11-step guideline will help you smoothly with the proper maintenance and lubrication of your valve. However, the maintenance process doesn’t stop there. As tasking as the disassembly is the reassembly process that can be performed by following the separate instructions below.
1. Place the assembly shaft unit back into the cover.
2. Place the valve handle onto the assembly shaft. Just make sure that the slots of the shaft are correctly placed for easier fitting.
3. Tighten back the locking knob back to its original place. Position the “off” label away from the “inlet”. This will assure you that the valve will operate in its correct position as before. This will save you from additional maintenance work as you will only be able to turn off the inlet.
4. Put in the valve assembly onto its body. In this step, you must be sure that the inlet label is aligned with the exit ports connected to the valve.
5. Insert and tighten back the screws of the valve cover.
6. Place the valve handle back to its operating position.
7. Perform the final maintenance process through checkup. Guaranteed that the pump basket is filled with enough water, restart the pump. See to it that the valve squirts water.
By following all of the instructions provided for both disassembly and reassembly parts of the maintenance process, be assured that your diverter valve will function as smoothly as before. Be relieved with costly repairs by doing simple maintenance tasks. Read about the valve’s different parts here.
Diverter Valve Articles
- Hayward SP0727 Perflex Diverter Valve Review
- Selection Guide Of A Diverter Valve
- 7 Basic Parts Of A Diverter Valve